Commercial UAV from China and Poland Edit
See RateGyro for commercial UAV systems that are exportable to South-Africa.
UAV's are the solution SA crime problem Edit
http://tinyurl.com/6rssvq UAVs are used extensively in Iraq to provide air support to the marines. In the South African "war-zone" we must deploy the same technology. The UAV and MannedSystems can travel extended distances providing back-up to the SAPS and communities, preventing criminals from escaping the scene of a crime. UavVideos shows how a ThermalImagingCameras fitted to a UAV detects the heat signature of people on the ground. Using ImageProcessing software people and cars are automatically indicated on the video image streamed back to the base. UavInTheNews describes how India uses UAVs to track Naxal bandits and in South-Africa we can also track the "bandits" jumping over walls and blowing up ATMs. If criminals know that it is impossible for them to get away because of a UAV that can't be heard or seen tracking them then they won't blow up the ATM to begin with in the first place.
65000 feet loitering UAV Edit
The Aerovironment UAV
* (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/02/special_ops_hydrogen_3g_hdtv_strato_droid/) * http://www.avinc.com/downloads/GO-01_AV_GO_SkyTower_Web_.pdf * http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/02/special_ops_hydrogen_3g_hdtv_strato_droid/page2.html
can glue together ground based WiMax and FreeSpaceOptics systems for the creation of UnlimitedBandwidth, making fiber virtually redundant. Aerovironment(http://www.avinc.com) reckons HALE comms platforms could provide a good alternative to satellites or 3G phone towers. It suggests Global Observer-like craft could orbit at 65,000 feet over countryside and cities, far above weather and air traffic, offering up to 50 Mbit/sec two-way connections to ground stations whose antennae could be "as small as two inches". The company figures that a single Observer drone in flight (equating to one up and one or two on the ground) could cover an urban area 50 miles in diameter or a rural one five times as wide.
Quadrocopter and fixed wing combination Edit
Police and security guards approaching armed assailants launch a http://www.mikrokopter.de - (RateGyro2) from the back of their bakkie first to provide close up visual imagery. If fitted with a ThermalImagingCameras people walking can be scanned for hidden fire-arms. The larger fixed wing aircraft fitted with a commercial RateGyro scans from above. Fuelcells enable 9kg UAVs to maintain a 9hour flight time. With electric batteries it was only around an hour. See http://www.draganfly.com/ for videos , but note that no UAVs can be exported from the USA. Commercial units are imported from Poland and opensource builds are available from RateGyro2
Aspects of unaided flight Edit
Commercial RateGyro, open source RateGyro2 and pyrometer based wing leveling control from http://www.nongnu.org/paparazzi and http://www.attopilot.com are the methods used to obtain autonomous flight. Especially the Attopilot is viewed as the best pyrometer based control system at present on the rcgroups.com forum. A combination of pyrometer and RateGyro control will be used. A RateGyro controls the plane about the x,y and z axis. Previously this was a very expensive and technically challenging thing to do. With the advances in technology, cost effective commercial solutions are within reach of the RadioControlHobbyist. A RateGyro uses a KalmanFilter to filter out the vibrations to the gyro caused by turbulence and the rotor. This enables an accurate Euler angle to be maintained, stabilizing the airframe. Pyrometer based systems are not influenced by airframe vibration but are influenced by mist and clouds but not rain. RateGyro control allows operation in any weather condition. RadioControlHobbyist need not understand KalmanFilter theory to implement flight control with a commercial RateGyro system. MannedSystems can be implemented instead of full autonomous flight.
UAV deployment like any other engineering venture is constrained by the state of the technology, funds and skills. StellenboschUav university provides commercial support for UAV development. One must have a reference frame in evaluating the various costs of UAV systems. One needn't understand how a civil engineer builds a bridge but you must have some sort of idea as to the price of steel, cement and labor. A skilled RadioControlHobbyist with a strong electronics background will be able to develop either a gyro or pyrometer based UAV system using the knowledge base from RateGyro and RateGyro2 at a reasonable price.
UnmannedAerialVehicles and specifically MannedSystems will stop the crime. Combine this with ground based day and night time surveillance using 0.003Lux CCD cameras and InfraRedLeds is ideal but cost prohibitive. Primarily daylight surveillance using 0.01lux CMOS SerialCameras as explained under LowCostLongRange is a cost compromise.
Commercial IMU prices Edit
* XsensDutchcompany's RateGyro - 2000 Euro. * http://www.esteq.com are agents for http://www.microstrain.com * Microstrain 3DM-GX2-USB-M, 3DM-GX2 inertial measurement unit - R15000
Camera system Edit
- Analogue ThermalImagingCameras for night time surveillance that must be digitized for transmission.
- Attach laser InfraRedLeds to Lux sensitive 0.003 CCD cameras to illuminate an object at night. The Merseyside police uses a quodrocopter fitted with such a camera - UavInTheNews.
- Attach a SerialCameras to a GpsAndGprs or serial based RadioModems unit for daytime usage and perhaps night-time if a 0.01 lux http://www.otv.com module is used.
- Analogue Aerial video systems on 1.2, 2.4 and 5.8ghz see - RadioModems
- Analogue CCD camera digitized with an Mpeg4Compression board and transmitted back using Wi-Fi, WiMax or suitable RadioModems.
Cost breakdown of UAV system Edit
Install a ThermalImagingCameras with a XsensDutchcompany RateGyro control system into a model airframe. A live video feed is streamed back to the base station using Mpeg4Compression, RadioModems and WiMax.
* XsensDutchcompany's RateGyro for unmanned flight - R30000 * ThermalImagingCameras - R40000 * http://blip.com.au 2.4 and 5.8ghz video transmitters * Airframe - R22000 * RadioModems - R3000 * Mpeg4Compression - R3000 * WiMax - R2000 * Total cost : R100 000
Opensource working system Edit
* UavInTheNews * UavApplications * RateGyro * RateGyro2 * FlightGear * XsensDutchcompany * http://www.freeuav.ru
UAV Swarming from Russia Edit
UAV blogs Edit
* http://www.livingroom.org.au/uavblog/ * http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/IIT-K_grads_develop_UAVs/articleshow/1647118.cms * UavVideos * http://www.copterworks.com/video.html
* http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620659 Links to Radios/video cameras etc. * http://jaapteewen.com/ww2aircraft * http://www.nongnu.org/paparazzi Working Opensource UAV system * Redirects to http://www.recherche.enac.fr/paparazzi/wiki/index.php/Main_Page * http://www.mav07.org * http://web.thielert.com/ * http://www.albatros-uav.org * http://www.micropilot.com * http://www.u-nav.com * http://www.nongnu.org/paparazzi * http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Evaluation_Boards_Tools/170491614ADIS16250_PCBZ.pdf Gyro Board * http://web.thielert.com/typo3/index.php?id=514&L=1
* http://www.aerosonde.com/drawarticle14 * http://www.aa.washington.edu/research/aerosonde/laima.htm * http://www.mfc-osnabrueck.com/TAM-5.htm * http://www.tam.plannet21.com * http://www.newscientisttech.com/article/dn10675 * http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/gallery/movie/CID/index.html
* http://www.microtransat.org/?lang=en Sailing boats across Atlantic * http://www.livingroom.org.au/uavblog/ Blog on UAVs * http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/robotics/4229443.html * http://www.uavconference.com/uavweb/public_html/papers/itba.pdf Power line observation * http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/01/pentagons-top-t.html Zephyr solar drone airborne 1 month * http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=JetPilott Video goggles jet pilot * http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS3726877035.html Helicopter UAV * http://www.uavfocus.com/uav_news/index_html * http://www.zala.aero/en/ Russian swarming UAVs * http://www.uavworks.com/ * http://www.uavcomm.com * http://www.freeuav.org/ * http://www.u-nav.com * http://www.microdrones.com/ * http://www.auav.net/ * http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/01/15/211506/australias-silvertone-set-to-fly-all-composite-version-of-pusher-flamingo-mk1-uav.html Autopilots from http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620659 * http://www.eagletreesystems.com/ * http://www.procerusuav.com * http://www.gfsprojects.co.uk/applications.html * http://www.uavoutbackchallenge.com.au * http://www.tacticalaerospacegroup.com/TAG_uav_product_guide.html * http://www.shephard.co.uk/UVOnline/Default.aspx?Action=-187126550&ID=e2fc1262-9e46-44d4-bec4-723e2c46d539 * http://www.smiths-aerospace.com/Products * http://www.micropilot.com/autopilots.htm * http://www.uavflight.com/Products.htm * http://www.arcturus-uav.com/index.html * http://cropcam.com/ * http://www.mmist.ca * http://www.insitu.com/ * http://www.shotspotter.com Detects exact location of gunshot from UAV * http://www.rada.com/rada/p_products/products_fam.asp?fid=48 * http://www.uavfocus.com/uav_components/index_html Flight management features * http://www.networkworld.com/community/?q=node/17560 * http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Air_Force_Stands_Up_First_Unmanned_Aircraft_Systems_Wing_999.html * http://www.opticalchemy.com/products.php4?gclid=CNat9tbmppQCFQvWugodGHMetw *
Bytecraft UAV Edit
SAM semi-autonomous airplane Jens Altenberg's design for a semi-autonomous airplane uses software generated by the SXC Code Development System.
* http://www.bytecraft.com/Sponsorship UAV with source/PCB/PDF Jens Altenburg SAM air vehicle * http://www.bytecraft.com/downloads/SAM_document.pdf * http://www.bytecraft.com/downloads/SAM_software.zip
* http://www.abat.co.za/ * http://www.control.co.za/about.htm * http://rcpilot.sourceforge.net/ * http://www.instrumentcontrol.se/ * UavYahooGroups * RcHobby
Robotics and Aerial drones Edit
- UnmannedAerialVehicles , RoboTics, QuadroCopter
- RoboLawnMower Automated grass cutting around macadamia trees, Controlling weeds in plantations
- RateGyro , RateGyro2, RateGyro3, GyroCompass, UavYahooGroups , RobotPatrolling,
- FlyingRobot, FlightGear , RcHobby
- UavApplications , MannedSystems, UavVideos, UavInTheNews , BlimpLinks ,
- ObjectTrackingUav Uses FpGa and two cameras for rapid object tracking